Sunday, August 9, 2009

Alfredo Mostaccioli

Wow, I am late getting this posted this week...but, I did just start my daycare, so my days have been a little more busy than usual. So, I know you all will give me a break this time.

This recipe was VERY, VERY good. I am not usually one to "make" my own Alfredo sauce...I usually just buy a jar of Ragu's premade Alfredo sauce, which is really not that bad tasting. However, I wanted to try it and I was very impressed. No more RAGU for me!

This sauce tasted so good - Chris LOVED it and asked that I use it from now on. For this particular recipe, I did make a few changes...or really additions. First, I would love to know where you can actually buy mostaccioli! I couldn't find it ANYWHERE...so I improvised with fettechini, which always works with Alfredo sauce. And, I added cooked, cubed chicken to the recipe as well...to give it an all around balanced meal! Lastly, I only added 1/4 c. parsley because it looked like a lot and if I would have added more, I think the Alfredo sauce would have turned green. So, here is the recipe as it was originally written....

Alfredo Mostaccioli

1 - 16 oz pkg. mostaccioli
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. chopped parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, approximately 8-10 min; drain. Combine heavy cream and butter in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally; do not let mixture boil! Stir in Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss with cooked pasta and serve immediately.

Oh, one last thing... the sauce seems to be kinda runny at first... so my suggestion would be to let it sit for at least 5 min as it thickens as it sits. It was at the right consistency for us about halfway through the meal...but we didn't let it sit at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment